Saturday, June 02, 2007

Sunway Lagoon 2007

Our very first stay at Sunway Lagoon.Posting this from an internet cafe near to the hotel as my sons wanted to log in to Maple story. The charges are quite reasonable - RM3(around S$1.40) for an hour. The hotel charges RM20 for the use of the internet from the business centre for half an hour! We set off from Golden Miles Complex at 8 a.m. in an Excecutive Class Coach - pretty good as it has a personal entertainment centre ( either games or movies) at each seat which kept my sons occupied through the 6.5 hour journey. I was pretty mad at the check-in though. The receptionist told me that my tour agency did not pay them for the extra bed. I showed him the hotel voucher from the agency which stated that I had paid for the 2 rooms with extra bed. Not a very friendly guy as he refused to call the agency and asked me to call them instead! I will never book a tour with Five Stars again! How could they not pay the hotel when I paid them more than a month ago! I finally got it settled and checked into our rooms which were on the 9th floor. I must say that overall the hotel service is quite good - the room service is prompt and the rooms are quite spacious and comfortable. And I LOVE it for its proximity to the shopping mall - just through a linkway and we can shop and eat at the restaurants anytime!

We ate at Pizza hut and BBQ Plaza on the 1st day. I love the sauce served at BBQ Plaza. The con is that the hotel does not have a swimming pool. In order to use the swimming pool, we have to cross over to the Sunway Lagoon Resort (same management). However, the swimming pool is great and my sons had fun in it the first day. The spread for the buffet provided by the hotel is quite good. Ian had 2 servings of the Nasi Lemak. I took the Tosai and toast. Chris did not have any appetite for breakfast and Lee was still sleeping in the hotel room!

I think the highlight must be the Sunway Lagoon theme park which we visited the 2nd day. The waterpark was fun and my sons really enjoyed it, esp at the Kalahari Kids' corner and the surf pool. I rented a float for them at RM10 (another RM10 as deposit) and they floated along the Little Zimbabwe (which is like a canal around the lagoon). Definitely worth the money here. However they did not enjoy going to the Wild Wild West - probably because the rides were more for adults. We went for a ride in the simulator and we paid RM15 each. We also looked at the limestones exhibit - they call it the scholar rocks! We went to the interactive zoo and paid 10MR each to enter - nothing much inside except that we got into a small train and rode around the park. We also took a photo with a python which cost us RM20.

We went back to the Mall for lunch at Delicious Kitchen - we ordered a set meal for 5 and additional 2 bowls of noodles. My sons love the noodles and finished them all. The meal is very economical at around RM35. We had steamboat in a Thai restaurant. The ambience is good and the spread is good but a bit more expensive as compared to the Chinese Restaurant.at around RM70. On the 3rd day, we decided to check out Berjaya Times Square and Chinatown.

We took the cab from the hotel (RM50 for a MPV) to Berjaya Times Square. I thought my sons will enjoy the rides in the indoor theme park but it proved to be a disappointment. They could not go into some rides as they are terrified of the height. They were not allowed to go into the playground and some of the children rides as they were above the height limit. For the 1st time, Ian felt that he is tall!

After that we took the monorail to Chinatown ( Maharajalela station), which is only 2 stops away from Berjaya Times Square (Imbi station). There was nothing much to see in Chinatown, just a lot of pirated DVDs and imitated bags and wallets. As it was still early, the stalls selling food stuff were not out yet. We had our lunch in a Taiwain restaurant inside a small shopping mall opposite Chinatown. The beef noodle was really good. After that we took the LRT form Pasar Seni station all the way to Kelana Jaya Station. The train was very old and crowded - quite a disappointment. From the Kelana Jaya Station we took a cab which cost us RM15 back to the hotel.

We went to the Chinese Restaurant opposite the hotel for dinner in the evening - a set meal for 5 and it cost me around RM60. The food was good and I highly recommend the restaurant as even the locals patronise it. I went for a foot massage at night and discover an internet cafe amongst the row of shophouses opposite the hotel. After the massage, I brought my sons to the internet cafe so that they can play Maple Story and I could check my emails. Nothing much on the last day - we check out of the hotel at 12 p.m. and kept our luggage at the concierge counter. After that we went to a food court opposite the hotel - much more variety and you can really taste the local food.

We left the hotel at 3 p.m. in our bus. The bus was old and some of the personal entertainment systems didn't work! My sons could not play games either and I felt that I am being cheated of the $150 upgrade charges for this bus! As mentioned earlier - I will not book with Five Stars anymore!

No comments: