Sunday, July 29, 2007

RCY Current Affairs Competition 2007


My health is definitely poorer this year, especially dealing with my form class. Just met 3 parents/guardian on Friday and I really wonder when will they learn to behave themselves. My whole body is aching with fever, cough and flu. Despite that, I still have to worry about the RCY Current Affairs Competition which was held last Saturday. I would have been more relieved if the team had been more cooperative and better prepared. Quite frustrated that the team still could not get the script ready even a day before the competition!

Learning from the points made by the judges from the previous competition, I highlighted to the team that when they present to the judges, they have to maintain eye contact with the judges and smile. I also told them not to read from the script and to make use of the posters to guide them through the presentation. I am glad that they finally rose to the occasion and won the champion for North District as well as got into the top 8 finalists for National. This is quite a feat as even the champion for the East Zone did not get into the top 8. Also quite surprised that a no. of top schools e.g. RGS, Cedar, SCGS ... did not win anything in the competition. I supposed our group did well in preparing themselves on the theme of disaster preparedness. It seemed that many teams focused on the disasters and the aftermath rather than the theme on disaster preparedness.

Our team tried to create an impact by bursting a balloon and then Reine started the presentation that a disaster can strike suddenly and quickly, just like when the ballon burst. Then she went on to explain what disaster preparadness is and how it can help people to react and minimize the no. of casualties when disaster strike. I think this is one of our winning points. The girls also made DIY button badges on disaster preparedness and gave them to the judges, emphasizing the importance of educating the people on being prepared for a disaster.

I was pleasantly surprised that they emerged as the Champion for North Dristrict and even the team themselves could not believe it! After that, they even announced that the team got into the Top 8 for the National round. However, I felt that their presentation is much better in the first round. In the National round, even though they used the microphone to present, I can sense that they are very nervous and were quite soft. They would have performed better if they had shown more confidence and were louder and clearer in their presentation.
Too sick to write further, will update when I am better. I will check with Mr Chia when to present the girls the cert and the trophy to the school. Congratulations to Xiao Li, Kit Man and Reine here.

No comments: