Friday, May 18, 2007

Visit to the Toa Payoh Senior Citizens' Centre







Our Red Cross members visited the elderly today at the Senior Citizens' Centre at Toa Payoh Polyclinic. The cadets tried to interact with the elderly as well as helping them to do some simple exercises. They also helped to serve tea to the elderly. I hope that they had learnt more about compassion through service and continue to serve one another!


I was pleasantly surprised when some of the Sec 1 gave me a nicely wrapped pack of stones. It seems that they had picked them up from the beach and decided to give them to me. I am comforted by the fact that they remembered my passion for rocks and had kept that in mind. One of our ex-student, Peiwen, called me from Australia and I was pretty touched by that. Another ex-student, Fong Yee, wrote in her blog how she recalled my Geog lesson when she went to China for a CIP project and visited Jiu Zhai Gou. Of course I will not forget those who had tagged in my blog and told me that they appreciated the Geog lessons or that they missed me after graduation.
I suppose these are the moments which pushes us on in our teaching carreer - students who really appreciated us and that we had made a difference to their life. I used to have a student who kept sending me greeting cards for Chinese New Year and teachers' day despite the fact that I have shifted house three times! I could still remember her name, Zhang Miao Hui, as I have taught both her brother and her in Rangoon Sec.

No comments: